Thursday 24 March 2011

El (n)Ombré*!

The biggest hair trend of 2011 is hotly tipped (excuse the pun...) to be the ombré style of high-lighting. Often confused for dip-dying or even grown out high-lights when seen on its celebrity advocates, the name ombré comes from the french verb ombrer which means 'to shade'. The clue to the concept is truly in the name; hair that is graduated from a dark shade to a lighter colour at the ends.

Celebrity fans Leighton Meester, Drew Barrymore and Jessica Biel

This look is a perfect combination of laid-back beach style and romantic, flyaway glamour. It's a look that grunge queen Alexa Chung has been sporting for several years to glorious effect, but it was with Drew Barrymore's dramatic roots' first red carpet appearance that really interested me in the look.

Due to work, laziness and an exploding dog I haven't had my hair cut and styled since December. Waking up to my first day off this week to glorious sunshine and unseasonal heat this morning, I knew that today was definitely the day to take a step towards this low-maintenance look.

My hair this afternoon: Vague non-colour, fringe with no
shape, ends quite dry.

VS Post-Hairdresser Hair: Chocolately roots leading into
lighter brown and finally  blonde tips

I am so, so happy with it! I was worried that I would end up with trashy looking, brassy streaks at the end of my hair but it's so soft and subtle that I am absolutely delighted. It was the first time I had ever been to the hairdresser that I used but she instilled me with so much confidence, referring to celebrities with the look I desired and taking time to discuss the colours I wanted.

This is also the best blow dry I have ever had, too! Normally I either get huge nineties blow-dries that end up having the straightening irons taken to them or looks that are just too straight for my liking. The technique that they used was very simple but left my hair looking sleek yet wavy at the ends.

Thank you to Hanna Richards and the team at Hanna's Hair Salon (no website, sadly, but contact numbers available online).

*For non-UK readers, El Nombré was a mexican mouse that helped us learn mathematics. A quick YouTube search will explain better than I ever could.

2 comments:

  1. The world appreciates the writings that include the knowledge and information about everyday science. I like your style and promise to come again and again to increase my skills and knowledge.
    wholesale womens tops

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great writer is one that knows the best about the things that surrounds us. Your writings have proved to me that you are really a knowledgeable person. Your words have glued me to the articles you have produced.
    Wholesale Womens Leggings Distributor UK

    ReplyDelete